PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Merged: Qantaslink Traineeship/Cadetship/General Employment
Old 1st Feb 2010, 23:38
Icarus53

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
That depends what type you're on.
I suspect it has rather more to do with how hard you've worked before.

Good guess Jarse, but I'm actually on Q400. As with all things, the bulk of work ebbs and flows with fleet and crew fluctuations. Different types and ranks will have different rates of effort at various times. Bottom line though, even in the midst of the "pilot shortage" when I was routinely being asked to extend and work on days off, I still wasn't working all that hard in the bigger scheme of things. I'll grant you that some other companies would be better (and I completely accept Hugh's assertions in that regard), but my comparison was drawn in reference to the average working professional.

To clarify, I certainly don't think we should pull a normal working week. Even within the limits of CAO 48/EBA provisions we should be careful to ensure that we are not fatigued. However, to work a professional career at an average of below 30-35 hours per week and claim that you don't have a lifestyle is a bit on the precious side for mine.

Again - the hardest I've worked here (or seen anybody else work for that matter) still ranks as an easy lifestyle in my book.

PS - I would also accept without question that the aforementioned upstairs types are actively seeking and implementing plans to make us more "productive". Don't get me started on meal arrangements.