PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Buying my first aircraft
View Single Post
Old 1st Feb 2010, 17:29
gasax

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I would emphasis what IO has stated. The problem for a new aircraft owner are the unknown unknowns - which cover pretty much everything!

If you can find someone with real experience to act as a mentor to you - beware! I've done it - it was a pain in the neck and I'll never do it again. If someone you only vaguely know offers - be suspicious!

The easiest way is to join a syndicate. Find a group you like the people in, and who own a run of the mill machine and have some money in the bank - that will be an easy share to sell!

Most groups are keen to use people who want to help and so you should be able to get close to the action, without gettiing burnt and using the expertise that already exists in the group.

Unfortunately GA is full of rogues and scoundrels - and that just covers the CAA licensed companies, many of the individuals would be unable to fly in a Sharia society as they would be unable to hold anything!

No one tells the new PPL any of this and the majority who do not take the learned advice of the forum find out the hard way.

It all sounds a bit negative - but I've owned aircraft for a long time and do not regret it for a moment. But I've learnt the hard way. Join a group with a permit aircraft and learn within that framework - after 2 years you'll know what you want and how to do it.