PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Growing Evidence That The Upturn Is Upon Us
Old 1st Feb 2010, 16:19
Wee Weasley Welshman

Received 208 Likes on 75 Posts
Look - dimwit - if I thought training now and spending a few years as an instructor was a good idea I'd say that. I don't. Its a terrible idea.

There ARE NO FI JOBS for a start. Demand is low and all sorts of idiots who training in a recession all had the same idea to splurge a further £7,000 on an FIC. The market is saturated with low time FI's and nobody is hiring. Working for free at weekends is about the best you can hope for. And even then nobody is much interested - you're green and crap and just one in a big tall pile of CV's.

Just don't train now. Its pointless. Go as far as a PPL and some self study for the ATPL course if you really must. But commercial training is all about buying a fast erroding skillset you want to sell to an airline. There are no buyers and by the time some come back to the market your skillset will have erroded to oblivion - it only takes about 6 moths...

There isn't going to be an upturn for a good long time and unless you can afford the whole course plus type rating plus slave wages for a year or two then its best not to put into motion an expensive plan that you cannot carry to completion.

Its bleak. It will continue to be bleak. It may get bleaker.

People who are currently sobbing in the corner about being exploited by the few airline that are hiring are the same people (by and large) who ignored my copious warnings from the Summer of 2007 not to train. Do not rush to join their particular personal hell of debt and insecurity. It is thoroughly miserable.