PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Buying my first aircraft
View Single Post
Old 1st Feb 2010, 16:15
IO540

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I think too many generalised statements here e.g.

any type on a C of A anywhere in Europe is not going to fly a single minute on basis of a 5000 Pound/Euro budget.
I used to run a TB20 on less than that, not including fuel. How? It was brand new.

Also, the devil is in the detail. If you join a syndicate around a plane with a "normal" engine costing say £20k to overhaul, and the engine has 100hrs to go to overhaul time, and the syndicate has no engine fund, then........ who is the bigger mug? The group for not having provided for it over many years, or the new shareholder who didn't do the most basic due diligence? His newly acquired share will likely be close to worthless.

To be fair, when one gets a PPL one knows sod all about these things and it is really easy to get conned. I narrowly escaped getting into some groups which I later discovered were falling apart due to factors like that. But that's the value of these forums People here will tell you stuff straight which you wouldn't get told by e.g. instructors who have a certain commercial interest in continuing to rent their spamcans

In the end there is no free lunch. "The plane", whatever it is, has to be fully funded somehow. A lot of people expect to get something for nothing but one cannot achieve that.