PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Buying my first aircraft
View Single Post
Old 1st Feb 2010, 09:24
ak7274

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I betcha don't get a consensus on any flying website.
Too many variables and too subjective too. I own my Aicraft and I fly when I want to, for as long(or short) as I want to. It costs less to run because its on a permit. I love it.
But and there always are buts......All costs relating to her are mine, Hangarage, insurance, maintenance. because she is on a permit I can't fly at night or in IMC. She only has 2 seats. If the engine goes T**s up I alone will pay the bill. Granted, because she is on a permit I can fit loow houred used unit, but still not cheap or neccessarily the best idea.
If your happy with a 2 seat permit aircraft then you would also need to look at Microlights. as some of them go like the clappers at a very much reduced cost.
If you think you will fly at night or regularly in IMC then you need to look at a certified aircraft and at £20,000 budget I would suggest a share is your main option.
My annual costs last year for 85 hours, including fuel were IRO £4,500 and I wouldn't change a thing. If you consider the permit route then make sure you go along to a couple of fly-ins and see whats available as well listening to the advice you will get on here.
Sorry, but for what it's worth that's my view.
The lighter the plane the bumpier the ride tends to be true, but don't rule anything out until you try a few.