PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Buying my first aircraft
View Single Post
Old 1st Feb 2010, 09:20
Choxolate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What are my best options?
I would defintitely find a group in your position.

I did this for the first five years or so after getting my PPL and then finally bought my own (a Europa). The reasons for a group are :-

1. You will learn a lot in group about maintenance, getting annuals done, insurance etc etc. - this can be quit a complex issue - particularly with a full CofA aircraft.
2. It will be considerably cheaper, both the intial capital and the monthly costs.
3. In a good group you should get good access ( I never had a problem) if possible go for a relatively small group - 4 or 5 seems the ideal number.
4. IF there any major problems requiring a big un-budgetted outlay (e.g. a seized engine) then the cost will be split amongst the group
5. It is much easier to sell a share rather than a whole aircraft when you decide to leave.
6. You have access to (probably) more experienced pilots than yourself in the group with whom you can share flights.

The main thing is the relationship between the group members - whatever the group agreement states, it all comes down to trust in the end. So it is better if you can find a group at an airfield where you know plenty of people and can put the word around that you are looking for a group share and then buy inot one where you already know some of the members.

If you do go for a group make sure that there is a reasonable fund building up to cater for unexpected costs that may not be covered by insurance.