PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Growing Evidence That The Upturn Is Upon Us
Old 31st Jan 2010, 19:42
PPLWannabe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yeah that's great JB, but some of us, if we want to follow you guys, are at an age where we have to move now. I'm 29, I'm doing modular part time. I expect to take three years to gain CPL and an FI rating.

That's my choice because I don't want to have ap disengage on me at 500' in the last moments of a final, in a strong cross-wind and not have the faintest idea what to do. I personally want flying experience; however at the same time I'm very lucky I have a good IT job that brings in >£30k so I can do this part time (indeed the employer is being so good as to let me take a few weeks bulk leave as and when I need to).

Now if you really want to stop people going through the 'direct access' route, make the funding disappear - if you can't get the loan for £80k or whatever, you won't do it that route; and (and I think this is the important part) - do some press! OAA, CTC, other schools are brilliant at their marketing - I was quoted (and I paraphrase) "airlines only want to employee people who've done an integrated course, BA or others will not ever look at you unless you learn with us". So rather than just sit on a forum telling people they are for wanting to achieve their lifetime ambitions, when they've had the CFI of OAA or whoever else give them this that and the over about how training school x is best and this route is the only real option, get out there, get the pilots unions lobbying and actively do something so that aspiring pilots realise there is an option here. Oh and maybe get the legal beavers and bean counters to adjust the minimum real flying hours to a higher benchmark.

** and just for the record, I do think anyone who spends £100k without looking first is a tool. At the same time, we're mature (I hope) enough to realise there may not be a job available when we get our fATPL's, however going modular, at least I'll be taking my time and things may (Gawds I hope so) be better in three / four years.

Last edited by PPLWannabe; 31st Jan 2010 at 19:52.