PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Student dual hours replace solo hours?
View Single Post
Old 31st Jan 2010, 14:33
englishal

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Another reason to go to the USA. I never paid "dual" rates for flying "solo". I don't subscribe to his feeling sorry for FI's who drive 200 miles per day for a pittance salary, that is their choice and most of them have ambitions to be earning £150k per year flying heavy metal - I went to University myself.

There are 3 sorts of FI - The really good career instructors, who I'd happily pay £50 per flying hour. Then you get the hour builders who want out ASAP and want to operate the gear and flaps of a Boeing. Then there are those that just love to fly, such as the CRI's, Aero's instructors, and airline pilots. For them money is not the driving factor.I used to fly with a BA captain, ex-harrier Pilot, who charged £50 per hour or £200 for a day if it was more than 4 hrs. Great for those longer trips - cross channel etc.....I don't mind hiring a FI for £200 per day if they can really teach me something new. He did it because he loved small planes and I learned a lot from him. I have also flown with an Army chap who is CRI, and does it for the flying, which I am very grateful for. He doesn't charge anything and wouldn't even accept expenses which I though was very generous. Hopefully we'll be using him more in the coming year.

But I suppose it would be better to negotiate a "PPL Package". An all inclusive price for 45hrs and meeting all the PPL requirements, with extra training if reqired paid additionally.