PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Turkish airliner crashes at Schiphol
View Single Post
Old 31st Jan 2010, 12:09
captplaystation

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I don't think you can equate setting the speed of 144kts on the MCP as being confirmation that they were monitoring speed, and if they were, they gave up at this point as they didn't notice the subsequent very substantial reduction in speed until the stick shaker woke them up.

Why ?

Well, without the benefit of hearing the CVR we are only guessing, but as the approach was "rushed" I wonder if the landing checks had been read & responded to, and completed with ," holding at flaps", as many companies do.

OR , and this scenario would fit the outcome very nicely, immediately after 144kts was set ,PNF started reading & PF responding to, the landing checklist.
This would be about the right time scale (30 seconds or so ? ) for the period that no-one appears to have been monitoring the airspeed trend.
This leaves another Q of course, what exactly was the "safety" pilot on the jump seat doing at this stage to enhance safety?

As a previous poster has said, BASIC situational awareness would lead you to expect the thrust levers to advance as speed stabilised, and it feels awfully wrong & unnatural if they don't , IMHO very difficult to miss. Which leads me also to suspect they had buried themselves in completing the landing checklist, the ability to prioritise, seems to have been lost in that case. AVIATE NAVIGATE COMMUNICATE.