PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Helicopter Fire-fighting (Merged threads)
Old 4th Jul 2002, 04:34
Gibbo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hey Indy Cleo,

We did quite a few days on the same fires then. I worked with your BK (Helitak 66 from memory) for about two weeks on and off; around Woodlands (both Bowen Mountain and Colo Heights) and Patonga (that nice little spot on the coast towards the end of the show.

I rate the bucket the Kiwis had (as shown in John's photo above) It sprays a nice even "fan" of water, which is great for doing a linear drop such as a fire front or spot over. Agree 100% regarding the vertical drop from the spray bucket; bambis are much more suitable for dousing a tree or log.

I have very little experience as a fire bomber, but have done plenty of air attack, which is my preference. Having multiple bombing assets on a fire, with different systems, means that it is easy to allocate horses for courses. A linear run that suits a fixed wing bomber (dromader or thrush) can be allocated in conjunction with some cleaning work, such as a burning tree that needs the whole lot down the throat.

Must remember the blokes on the ground when a run is starting; a couple of tonnes of water at 80 kts can upset their day.

Gibbo