PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Helicopter Fire-fighting (Merged threads)
Old 3rd Jul 2002, 18:36
tecpilot

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Up to 3 years ago i've flown fire fighting helos to and in spain and portugal. During the allyears fire fighting season they chartered helos from all around in europe. In portugal are not so much civil turbine helos and the most pilots flew only in the fire season on the bigger singles. Helicopters are based on several bases and you have to work with the local residents and fire authorities. Due to the language problems most pilots came from brasil and portugal. Especially in the first weeks that business comes together with a lot of bended and overheated metal.
Have seen there some really hot cowboys and acrobatic helo jocks. Maintenance in country is superb, very clean and absolute professional.
Taking water from private swimming pools isn't a tale!!!
Innercountry, really "outlands" it's very dry and dusty. Sometimes it's difficult to get enough water. But residents are very, very friendly and symphatic. And who needs a swimming pool in front of the burning finca??? Or wants to look to the burning neighborhouse from the fresh pool, drinking well cooled pina-colada?

Maybe we can compare the fires with them in australia?! I don't know. The trees (eucalyptus,without koalas) burning like hell.

Seems to be a "macho" country but i've seen some female mechanics .
@john
respect! really impressive pictures

Last edited by tecpilot; 3rd Jul 2002 at 18:52.