PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Turkish airliner crashes at Schiphol
View Single Post
Old 28th Jan 2010, 09:09
chuks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well, you try this and see how well you do!

You can nitpick all you like with "coulda-shoulda-woulda" in either case and come away telling anyone who will listen to you how you would have done this so much better but many of us will just think, "Oh, really?"

I have been on a few sim sessions with some self-nominated "ace of the base," someone ever-ready to jump in with a critique of the minutiae that went overlooked in managing a serious problem over a very short span of time by some other crew. Then our ace gets handed a surprise of his own, when he shows that he too might not be Superman, when this sad fact is not a surprise.

I happen to have a Commercial Glider License so that I think I know a bit about gliding flight and in a glider I hope I can apply those principals properly. On the other hand I also have an ATPL so that I think I know how to do a powered ILS approach, although I have never flown such a large jet as a 777. Just where in these two very different things is my qualification and experience suddenly to switch from a powered to a gliding approach on short final in a large jet transport aircraft, though? What that BA crew was faced with was so far off the scope that its very probability is not accounted for and simply to have managed a safe landing was an extraordinary feat, hence, one supposes, the gold medal they were awarded.

Arrogance is sometimes justified; it isn't always a bad thing to say, "I can ride that wild bull through a china shop," if you can pull that feat off when most of us cannot but it's still arrogance.