PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Turkish airliner crashes at Schiphol
View Single Post
Old 28th Jan 2010, 06:35
chuks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Point taken...

I think there are more amateurs (in the best sense of that word, those who love flying without necessarily being professionals) here than you might assume, just given by the tenor of the posts, so that I am uncomfortable with such a sweeping statement about speed being paramount. There's a lot of truth in that but it really needs that overview that broad experience brings, as you have pointed out.

You can see people take stuff they read (when it must be true) and embed it in their scheme of values. Often a situation develops with some misunderstanding just sprawling across the aviation landscape like kudzu that should have been uprooted to begin with.

Anytime a perfectly serviceable aircraft is destroyed with loss of life then, yes, we can almost hope that a mistake was made that we can learn from so as to avoid the same thing happening to us. I just don't like to see this distancing mechanism come into play, even though it is only natural, that "This isn't going to happen to me because I am not (insert reason or reasons here)!"

To criticise that BA crew is breath-takingly arrogant. They lost both engines on short final yet managed that to the point where everyone survived and most people even walked away yet someone can carp about how that was achieved? If this were a TV show it would have "Warning! Kids: Don't try this at home!"