PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Asiana Interview
View Single Post
Old 24th Jan 2010, 01:42
I am here

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs down

Guys,

This is a temp user name for me. My regular one is known and I am afraid and fear retribution for what I write here. bjlurzjet, manincrz2937, and evyjet are right on. I have been over here in Korea for over 4 years. In late 2005 and early 2006 Asiana hired 6 Americans, 3 Australians and about 15 Brazilians for the B-777. By mid April 2010 there will be 1 American, 1 Australian and 10 or 11, I think Brazilians. A main reason for the Americans and Australian exodus is what evyjet said. All three recruiters lie to you about the PS Business seats. Asiana blocks approximately 2 seats per flight to US and OZ form PS company business passes. This is for every one in the company. Everybody except the expat pilots bid there vacations a year in advance and reserve those seats. By the time your schedule is published 10 days before the month begins, almost all the time there a no “R” seats as they call them to go home on your off days. There are more flights and seats available to Southeast Asia, so most of the expats from those countries get home with out hassles. They said and the contact states they will buy 6 off line in Business tickets, but changed that to coach in September when all three recruiters caved in. That change mainly effected the Americans and some Brazilians. The reason we are expats is because we don’t live here. After busting your butt for 21 days, a 15 hour ride in coach home is should not be part of the package. They polled all the expats several hundred. Most never used off line so didn’t care and it was only aimed at the few Americans and Brazilians.

Over age 60, don’t count on it. The wording is vague. No promises. Several years ago when pilots age 58 plus had a chance to go elsewhere to fly to 65, Asiana ask these pilots to standby. KAL had raised their age to 63 and once KAL does something Asiana does it 6 months or so later. The first four expats that reach 60 were renewed to 63. Number 5’s birth month was the same as 3 or 4 Koreans who were strikers in 2005. So to punish these ex strikers, Asiana lowered their age to 60 for that month only and the expat got caught up in Asiana politics and was not renewed. Now they say 63. They want someone who can sign a three year contract before age 60. They won’t sign you past 60. At 60, and depending on the kimchi they had that day, they may renew your contract at a reduced pay rate and no pay raises to age 63 (that is, if there are no Koreans they want to punish who have the same birth month, and are reaching 60!).

Housing, watch out. An example, they found real cheap 3BR units 3 ½ years ago in an small factory industrial area, next to the train and subway tracks for 4 Americans and one Aussy. So much pollution in the air that you could not open your windows in mild weather even on the 22-24 floors. If you did you had a black soot over everything inside. The 8th floor unit shakes when the trains go by between 0530 to 0100. Over the past three years the area has been built up and it’s a nicer place with places to eat and entertainment. When the leases are due, Asiana won’t renew them and they are looking for even cheaper places. Some with no sidewalks or near-by subway service. If you have a car that might be OK, but can you imagine dragging your luggage and flight bag down the street waiting in the mud, rain or snow for a bus to go to a subway station or an airport bus limousine stop. You get notified by a phone or a knock on your door you have to move in two weeks with no other places available.