PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Electra at CGN
Thread: Electra at CGN
View Single Post
Old 2nd Jul 2002, 21:25
SBA

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ragspanner,

Actually the question was not "Did an Atlantic L188 carry out a windmill start the other night?" The question from the grammatically challenged Ivan Aromer was "How this happen on two crew airplane?"
Sorry to disappoint you all but if it did occur then it is all legitimate. Atlantic have procedures and training in place for this and three engine take-offs. Channel Express also hold approval for three engine take off, and I assume windmill start, as the operating technique is very similar for these two procedures.
It may seem unusual for those operating other types, but bear in mind that there are very few four engine propliners left in Europe. I assume you couldn't adopt a windmill start procedure in a twin and you wouldn't want to with fifty punters in the back of a Dash 7, so that leaves the Electra and the Herc. The Electra can, and does, adopt this procedure in the correct circumstances.
I believe the Herc suffers from a greater asymmetric control problem, which is one of the reasons that it is not on the UK register, so it may be a problem with a windmill start or three engine take off, however I don't have the facts to back that up, so it may be entirely incorrect.
Either way, it's no big deal in an L188, and it's legitimate, so get off our backs and find something more constructive to do with your time.