PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - DJ OOL
Thread: DJ OOL
View Single Post
Old 23rd Jan 2010, 00:26
Worrals in the wilds

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Nor do they write the training manuals, unfortunately. It's not a question of being inferior as a person or being incompetent, but in my observation people who join non-airline ground handling companies cold lack the proper training ex airline people usually received.

This doesn't mean the ex airline staff are any good at applying that training, but it does put them a step ahead of the poor shmo who joined a cut price contractor and was never taught how to do their job properly or given decent equipment to do it with, because training takes time and costs money, and you can't possibly undercut other operators if you take time and spend money.

This is by no means a general criticism of the people doing the work for Aerocare (I have several work pals who are employed by similar companies). It is a criticism of the 'bottom line rules' attitude that drives most of the non-airline ground handling companies, at the expense of quality performance, servicable equipment and decent T&Cs for their workers. I would be interested to see the national rates of ramp incidents (spills, minor accidents etc) since this trend began, because they're certainly up around here, largely due to the independent operators.