PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Irish ATC Disruption 20 Jan 2010
View Single Post
Old 21st Jan 2010, 18:20

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
As an American that has been flying for a European carrier for almost two years now, I must say that most of the controllers here are wussies. I am absolutely flabergasted at the slot times (CTOT) we get because of congestion (especially Austria), only to get airborne and hear very little on frequency. Vienna controllers must have a clause in their contract that limits them to handling no more than 3 a/c at a time. What a joke. ATC here in Europe has equipment that is 20-30 years newer and better than in the States, yet they seem to be capable of so much less! I wince when I imagine how euro controllers would manage Chicago O'Hare, LAX, or JFK approach on a normal day. A busy day would absolutely eat their lunches!
Thats because we have to talk to too many americans pilots that can't understand english and continually moan about a little bumpy air that every european pilot doesn't even mention. Wind your neck in.

Traffic at Irish Airport fell 15% in 2009, and is set to fall further. National air traffic controllers are seeking a 6% pay rise, yet their workload has reduced by 25%
I'm confused at where the 25% drop in traffic has come from??

If traffic at the airports fell by 15% then how do you get a 25% drop in overall traffic levels? Unless overflights/transatlantic fell by something like 40% (which it hasn't) and thats presuming that Irish traffic is split 50/50 between aerodrome traffic and overflights (which i seriously doubt it is).

And the 6% rise has already been negotiated, The IAA don't want to pay it. If you were promised a 6% payrise and then your employers tryed to get out of it wouldn't you be a bit upset?

I couldn't care less if they earn 500,000 or more a year...but it should be based on performance.
Their job description is to keep aircraft apart not allow as many aircraft to fly as possible, its not their fault if the airlines aren't flying the same amount as they were last year. They get paid and should get paid irrespective of how many aircraft they work be it one at a time or one hundred.

And do you get paid less when you fly less than full aircraft?? Doubt it.

With the pay quoted in these pages , it explains why we hear *strines and kiwis operating shannon enroute. They aint there for the weather thats for sure!
If they were in it for the money they'd be in the middle east.