PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Jet2 Jobs
Thread: Jet2 Jobs
View Single Post
Old 21st Jan 2010, 09:27
TheBeak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
And another thing that really gets up my hooter, are these greedy captains(more than likely retired B.A.) on final salary pensions, that take the jobs and livelyhood from those less fortunate, resulting in the stifiling of F/O upgrades and poorer T&Cs for all.
I couldn't agree more. They take the pension and take another job and do not enjoy doing it all. If only they'd make way for those that not only enjoy the job but need it.

As always, a simple rule to apply to airlines recruitment - if they need you, they'll pay for you. At the moment they are taking the pi55 out of you because they know all pilots are on the back foot. Train drivers, post men, fire fighters - they all earn more than many pilots - why? Because they have a proper union. End of. We all know the Jet2 contract on offer is appauling.

If the only way the airline can make margin is by paying their pilots very little then they are in the long term in trouble - I promise you - what they are doing isn't clever, it's not business savvy - it's desperate, it's pathetic and it is delaying the inevitable. I will certainly be putting money on with the bookies that this airline will not be around in the next few years.

Chairman, Philip Meeson...... said Jet2.com had been successful in maintaining load factors, but in part at the expense of yields.
And how do they claw back some of that margin? Desperate pilots who have nothing else. At the moment they are 'surviving' and that is their tack. Think of the market they deal with - Ryanair are far, far cheaper for more or less the same service on much newer, more economic aircraft - I know who I'd fly with.