PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Let's make our Profession prestigious again
Old 20th Jan 2010, 18:11
mrwebs

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
quote: "The captains who command these aircraft are there to inhibit any such occurence!!"

yes indeed, the commanders responsibility for the safety of the aircraft, occupants and contents etc is seemingly all encompassing. however i think its a step in the wrong direction for him/her to have to deal with a 200-250hr f/o too.
i agree with the call for standard minimum experience requirement for a rhs position dependant on the class/type of aircraft.

someone said something about 1000hrs on a seneca not helping you on a 737 so it makes no difference between you and the low hour sstr/ptf's..
yeah, maybe not for the initial TR and LOFT stuff, but once released online and getting reasonably comfortable with the aircraft i dont think decision-making/awareness/crm/understanding of an aircraft in flight ect can be compared.
of course thats broadly speaking.

who is responsible?
its a bit of a "what came first, the chicken or the egg" type thing.
trto's or lcc's? rich parents or stingy management? cadets attitudes or pilots egos?
its all mind boggling really, you ask yourself how did it get so far? real question is how much further will it go?

i personally dont give a sh*te if you got 100% and a little star on on your report card, paying to fly rhs on commercial passenger jet as a "foot on the ladder" scheme is almost a revolting practice, its degrading to the people who will sit to your left.
i actually can afford it as my daddy is well off too but the respect of my peers and my self respect, especially in this job, is important.

i equally tire of some of the older crowd who have worked so very hard doing whatever in order to hold this prestigious job and feel vexed that some hotshots out of airschool are sitting in the same cockpit that for them is a culmination of a lifetimes work.

it may boil down to people, which we arguably all are. the ceo of an airline is as likely to forgo the interests of aviation, in favour of the interests of his bank account, as the ceo of an airschool is.
principal and honour has been dying a medium-to-fast death for a while now, humans as a race had little in the first place.

we are a young-ish industry, and we are inevitably falling into the same state as most others have. i.e you are the crux of the matter but also the neglected baby of the family.
i mean who listens to or cares about teachers these days regarding education? parents/governing board have all the say. like us they only make news when they f*ck up or strike.
and nurses?
police?
the clients of a bank?
government of the people?

what to do vs. what can you do.

sorry if this has been tedious but you know how it goes