PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Irish ATC Disruption 20 Jan 2010
View Single Post
Old 20th Jan 2010, 17:33
121decimal375

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I expecting the backlash here but....

Firstly I'm am an ATCO but do not work for IAA. I have had my conditions of employment and pension changed significantly. I have also took a freeze like most ATCOs in the UK

How can you compare flight crew pay and conditions to ATCOs? Flight crew get the going rate within their industry so do ATCO's.

The main difference is that there is a worldwide shortage of qualified ATCO's where as there is unfortunately there an abundance of surplus flight crew(for a number of reasons including the economic downturn etc)

Why not compare Doctors, lawyers etc to ATCO's they obviously get the going rate in their industry

On a personal note, we are all professionals and we do our best to provide the best service we can. We understand that there is a reduction in traffic and we dont just sit on or backsides reading the paper. We endevour to use the spare capacity to co-ordinate re-routes, directs, straight in etc all which take considerable time and often many phone calls.

How many of those people here moaning about the IAA controllers have actually visited an ATC centre? Those who havent how could you possibly know how stressful the job is?

With the invention of modern aircraft systems and ATC systems we are all becoming observers and checkers. Just remember flight crews and ATCOs alike we all get paid for what we can do, not necessarily what we do on a daily basis e.g. emergencies

To all the IAA ATCO, well done for making a stand. I only wish my union had the same balls!