PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Irish ATC Disruption 20 Jan 2010
View Single Post
Old 20th Jan 2010, 09:17
Callsign Kilo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
So the underlying motive to strike, as put by the union, was that 15 contollers were suspended by the IAA. The cause is failing to comply with the introduction of new technology (is that correct?) The controllers believe that the introduction of new technology and working practices has increased pressure and has allowed the job to become more stessfull? However, lurking in the background, is a 6% pay increase which the IAA will not honour. So if they honour the 6% and bring your colleagues back to work, will ATC comply with the new technology and will the job become less stressful knowing that you have an extra 6% gross on your salary?

Keeping in mind that capacity has dropped (Ryanair say up to 25% - open for debate due to the source). Average ATC payment in Ireland is 112K (is that correct?) However introductory level is around 55k. With 6% that will raise to 58.3K. And already something like 30.65% of your salary is placed in your pension fund by the authority.

So who funds this, the struggling airlines? Can't see that escaping resistance, as a result you may have even less work to do due to capacity dropping further! The government...nope, not intersted - why should they be?. Airports....doubtful! IAA customers besides the airlines...well I can see some charges being risen there undoubtably. Even if the IAA has the money to pay you an extra 6% a year NOW they will hide this fact and look to source the lost revenue externally.

I've been an FO of a mid sized airliner for two years and don't earn 55K. I can't see many guys in my position supporting your industrial action i'm affraid. If you get your way its our employers who will bare the brunt of it. And that will filter down to us. Always does!

Last edited by Callsign Kilo; 20th Jan 2010 at 10:03.