PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - 737 Landing at Jandakot?
View Single Post
Old 19th Jan 2010, 05:21
Pontius

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Used to fly into Jersey (Channel Islands) all the time with a full 737 (300, 400 & 500). That runway was a mini-tad over 1700m and wasn't a problem. Never used more than autobrake 3 and very often could turn off way before the runway end.

As a boring aside, I once had to position a 737 to Glasgow airport. It was just the two of us up the front and we were keen to see just what max autobrake, full reverse looked and felt like. We were light (just as a Jandakot flight would be) and we touched down right at the very beginnig of the TDZ (probably 3 reds, 1 white). The bloody thing stopped so fast I'm glad I'd locked my harness and I never got to use the reverse because we'd stopped By using a bit of judiscious turning we were able to take the first exit off 05(?) which I reckon is no more than 550m from the threshold. I know, silly old fart, but I didn't half learn how quickly those things can stop if you need them to. 1200m, piece of piss

(edited to add: the aircraft was going to GLA for maintenance and would be there for at least a week, so don't start the normal gobbing off about the irresponsibilty of warming up brakes for the next crew etc)