PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Another Air Berlin incident in Nuremberg..
Old 17th Jan 2010, 21:19
NGjockey

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
pressman,

Easy there! I'm not going to comment on our pay scale, but calling Air Berlin Pilots undertrained and inexperienced is quite a statement! I'd be glad to hear where you got that information from? Have you ever flown for Air Berlin or done any kind of training there? I wouldn't exactly call an 18000 hour (ON TYPE) Captain inexperienced, would you? Even our least experienced First Officers have at least 1500 hours on type. In case you haven't noticed: Air Berlin celebrated its 30th anniversary last year, an age that a lot of other companies like Ryanair or Easyjet have yet to reach. If you take a look at our safety record you might want to rethink your statement. Thirty years of flying without an accident are definitely NOT pointing towards inexperienced and undertrained pilots!
A lot of our TRI/TREs came out of the Air Force, having enjoyed quite some training during their military career. Some of these guys have been working for the company for more than twenty years, constantly working on improving the training and procedures.
Before I joined Air Berlin I've had three other airline jobs (one of them was flying for NetJets Europe, which is not exactly an airline job, but they do pride themselves with recruiting only the most experienced pilots, right?), but the training for Air Berlin was by far the most demanding and thorough that I've had so far.

It is not very professional to call colleagues inexperienced and undertrained in public; you have no way of knowing anybodys background! Do you know the circumstances of that incident in Nürnberg or the one in Dortmund? Do you have any information about the level of experience of the crew? I wouldn't think so, so how can you make such an assertion?

By the way: What was the third incident you mentioned? Don't tell me that you call a rejected take-off due to an indication problem with an uneventful return to the ramp an incident of the same magnitude like an overrun? What has that got to do with experience?