PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Haiti - a sign?
Thread: Haiti - a sign?
View Single Post
Old 17th Jan 2010, 00:09
Union Jack

Received 35 Likes on 27 Posts
Sadly for him, I suspect that MGD has yet to achieve sufficiently high rank to qualify for the level of staff training that would disabuse him of his extraordinarily distorted views about the role, capability, and history of the Royal Navy.

However, even a little research would enable him to discover that ships of both the Royal Navy and the Royal Fleet Auxiliary have an outstanding record of assisting, frequently with only a single destroyer, frigate, or RFA, backed up by ship's flights in more recent times, with the aftermath of natural disasters around the world - including earthquakes - and, very often, in places that even the Mighty Wokka could not reach.

This being so, what he disdainfully refers to as "pygmy carriers" (or indeed any warship or RFA) could undoubtedly put up a very good show indeed, if it were deemed appropriate for one or more to be sent. If MGD were to conduct a check on the number of warships and RFAs awarded the Wilkinson Sword of Peace, either individually or jointly, between 1966 and 2005, and the Firmin Sword of Peace since 2005, for providing humanitarian aid around the world, I believe that even he might feel that an apology, or at the least an amendment to at least two posts above, would be in order - not least because both INVINCIBLE and ILLUSTRIOUS have been recipients.

However, since I fear that his anti Navy bias may be beyond redemption, perhaps I should not hold my breath. But, for the avoidance of doubt, let me add that my admiration of the many inspiring achievements of the mighty Wokka is second to none.

Jack

Last edited by Union Jack; 17th Jan 2010 at 00:20.