PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - What are the job prospects for new CPLs? (MERGED)
Old 15th Jan 2010, 19:48
Riddo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
100k to train, dam which craft to fly help?

Looking for replies from pilots / recruiters who are currently working or recently employed in IRL or U.K. in heli or fixed wing..
Please, I know the situation is **** for employment now so no need to tell me to stay at my present job forever!!!! Don’t need to much negativity cheers..

Quick background: 32 yo mechanical engineer based in Ireland.
I am working now earning 52K euros, and planning to start training to become a pilot in the U.K. and Irl. Calculated to have 35k debt when done in <3yrs.
@ Heli 115,000 euros to get trained. Up to CPL/IR TT 250
@Plank 100,000 euros ready to apply for Ryanair (incl t rating 35k) TT 250

Outcome: **** all jobs at the moment yea, it will take me approx 2.5-3 yrs to be done.
Not sure which to fly, favourite is Heli but not much work in Irl.Most Irish heli's at Grand Canyon now. SAR work possibly, heard there were 5 or so qualified pilots with IR turning up at gate every week to seek work, a lot of ex RAF guys there too lots of competition to get in. Before I can apply need to log hours in North shore.
What is the situation now re N.S. I presume lots of pilots applying there too, chances in 2/3 yrs??? (Saw post re CHC requirements.)

Ryanair main employer in Irl, Aerlingus goosed, lots of pilots from Aerlingus with hrs looking for work- no shortage! O’Leary’s dubious re order for 200 hundred 800N.G's is uncertain...
Don't mind moving abroad for 1-2 yrs will probably have too..
Anyone please?

Last edited by Riddo; 15th Jan 2010 at 21:43.