PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Helicopter Fire-fighting (Merged threads)
Old 1st Jul 2002, 10:29
John Eacott

Received 24 Likes on 14 Posts
Arrow

Having skirted around a few flames over the years, I'd add to IC's comment about mirrors/doors off. IMHO, having delighted in blatting around with the door on, and the air con flat out for the past 5 years, and spent 26 out of 28 days on the same Sydney fires as IC with the door off, it makes little difference to the accuracy of the drop.

BUT not having a mirror can make a huge difference to the water pick up. I've watched many a driver with his head out the door, trying to watch the bucket, and getting into unusual attitudes I wouldn't contemplate at altitude, let alone 10 ft !! How one driver got away with getting the tail fin wet, but not the tail rotor, reminded me to pick up my water just a bit further away......

Heliport, you're asking for enough info to fill a book (or training manual)

Type of pickup/drop (ie bucket or tank), type of aircraft, type of fire, type of drop, etc etc. Long line, bucket on the hook, Sacksafoam, duty times, hours limits, engine comp washes, refuel dramas, Air Attack Supervisors (different from state to state), helibase personnel.

Where would you like us to start

C'mon John. You're being far too modest. Your posts on techniques are always excellent. Pick one or three of your list of topics and go for it!

Last edited by Heliport; 1st Jul 2002 at 12:00.