PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Electra at CGN
Thread: Electra at CGN
View Single Post
Old 1st Jul 2002, 08:10
SBA

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rotary,

Atlantic still take off and land with the boost control doors open, and there is no need for anyone to get out of their seat to deboost the controls. This is practised on a regular basis during training and no-one has yet got the cables in a tangle whilst de-boosting.
I am speculating that with your L188 connections and the Eire connection that your association is with ACL, Hunting, Air Bridge. For many years, this company operated the Merchantman which I believe was built by Vickers as a 3 crew machine and subsequently modified for BEA for 2 crew operation. Did Hunting receive all this criticism over the 2 crew issue. Much like Atlantic, the STC was initiated by a previous operator of the aircraft type.

Chris Cargo,

If it makes you happier thinking that the Captain looking out of the window in a control locked aircraft can have any effect on events, then so be it. The Atlantic drill has the FO carrying out this role whilst the Captain deboosts and I really can't see what the problem is with this system. Perhaps a better understanding of your aircraft systems, as demonstrated by your Bus A comments, would remove some of your irrational fears.

For the uninitiated (or ill informed) a gust locked situation such as this would involve simultaneous failures of at least two un-related systems. After take off, the aircraft is trimmed for 10 degrees pitch up and should therefore continue to climb approximately straight ahead. A far worse scenario would be a gust lock in the latter stages of the approach, as the aircraft is set up to descend and will continue to do so. I firmly believe that in this situation my sense of self preservation would let me de-boost the controls in a more timely fashion than asking a third crew member to carry out the necessary actions.

The only people who are in a proper position to judge on the two crew issue are those who have operated both systems. Ask any Atlantic pilot about this issue and you will get a true reflection of the facts.

YES, BUT WHAT IF ALL THE ENGINES WENT INTO REVERSE AND THE WINGS FELL OFF? WHAT WOULD YOU DO THEN?