PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Jobs in Africa (2008 onwards) Part 2
View Single Post
Old 13th Jan 2010, 12:11
747TDR

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Another one?

Hi Syckes,

Firstly, what kinda low hours are we talking about?

If its less than 500hrs, your chances of getting a sniff of a 200/1900 job are just as good as that of the right-hand seat in a 737. It just isn't happening in South Africa at the moment.

Go get an instructors or find the nearest skydiving school and drop meat bombs for a living. Right now, that's the only way of getting somewhere in SA at the moment. Harsh but true. Especially after 250k+ in training.

After finishing the comm, I contacted a couple of 200/1900 operators to enquire about my chances of a right-hand seat with a rating and a few hours on type. I could actually hear all of them falling off their chairs in hysterical laughter! Note: these are the same operators that the school I wanted to do my rating at advertised as "95% chance employers" after the course. Makes you think.

The only way (and best way) of getting there, is by working your way up. Employers like instruction time as they are not just employing junior FO's, but also future Captains, Training Captains and Fleet Captains who have the ability to train people.

My 2c worth.

Blue skies

Blue skies