PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - MCC at Oxford OR at European Skybus
View Single Post
Old 12th Jan 2010, 14:52
ford cortina

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Having no knowledge of either training establishment, therefore I can offer a unbiased view.
I am a line pilot, flying 737 NG and Classics. We have a large mix of pilots from several different countries and continents. We have to work together as a team and that means CRM is the most important part of my job. I can hand fly a 737 with or without flight directors on, because I have experience of the aircraft.

A Multi Crew Cooperation course is just that, it is about working as a team, there is absolutely no bearing on flying a aircraft. It is very nice to play with a sim, I know, it also helps with getting to grips with jet aircraft. But you are not there to learn how to fly a jet aircraft you are there to work together and gain some understanding of the term Multi Pilot Crew.

If you want to pass a sim check, go and spend some money a few days before on a sim, not weeks and months, again I have been there.
When you have a holiday, it can take you a short while to get back into the swing of things and we are line pilots. When you go for your first sim, you will no be expected to know how to fly a jet aircraft. you will however be expected to improve your performance as the sim goes on. If you want to learn how to fly a jet, albeit one type, then do a JOC. You will need to do it very close to your sim check for it to be any use though.

In practice you will find that the Pilot Flying will make PA's. Unless there is a problem, then the Captain does.
Learning LNAV/ VNAV and FMC's are all well, but again you don't need to know it at this stage, you will learn how to use it later. BTW it's easy.

I feel that the industry has decided to make more money than then to teach people how to deal with situations.

But no one will listen, because they know better and I am just blah blah blah blah