PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Let's make our Profession prestigious again
Old 12th Jan 2010, 14:00
PaulW

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
As much as I believe in the importance of a structured career path to keep the higher pay scales in existence. I can't support the argument that, a jet requires more skill and experience to fly than any other multicrew aircraft, the number if seats behind you is no argument for how difficult or challenging an aircraft is to fly. Multicrew experience is multicrew experience, jumping from a Seneca into turboprop is just as challenging as into a jet and vice versa. I would certainly own up to finding stepping back into single crew air taxi work very challenging and I would imagine lots of others would too. As far as flying jets or turboprops in a multicrew environment sops are sops, it doesn't take a special sky god like pilot to master flying a jet, 200 hour guys in an a320 is no different to 200 hour guys in a dash 8, both are a challenge with no experience, I do not believe you can use the safety card, when these legacy carriers have had structured schemes for decades. What needs to be done is finding a way of structuring a pilots career path and pay structure be it apprenticeships to gain experience or permanent positions, not short term contracts for people with little or no experience and no opportunity to gain any in any other way but these seasonal schemes which are tailored for maximum benefit to the company at the expense of low experienced pilots. A group of people that need regular consistent flying to build up a bank of experience, short term contracts are in my view detrimental to a low houred pilots ability level with long periods of little or no flying.