PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Electra at CGN
Thread: Electra at CGN
View Single Post
Old 30th Jun 2002, 12:19
jones the steam

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Nice one SBA. Captain Cargo, whilst the loss on Bus A on take off is "not a good thing", it would not require deboosting the controls as you still have a Bus B powered hydraulic pump.

I can't believe that almost 3 years on, we still have this back-biting about flying 2 crew electra's. It's not some crazy move dreamed up by Atlantic. Lockheed, the FAA, and the CAA were all involved in the certification process, involving many hours in the Sim and also the aircraft itself. The Deboosting procedure was demonstrated (on the sim!) as were many combinations of other failures, and only then was 2 crew operation allowed.

The fact is, the Electra was designed around the 2 crew concept, but due to FAR regs at the time, all A/C had to have 3 crew. As anyone knows who has been in an Electra, the F/E doesn't have a panel as in the 727. All emergency procedures can be handled from the Capt's & F/O's seat with the exception of the secondary emergency gear extension which is accomplished from a handle in the rear of the flight deck floor, and is in any case not something which needs to be immediately accessible - there is plenty of time while flying round the hold for someone to go and and pull it if the the situation dictates.

I realise that the 2 crew concept is not something that some people are familiar with, especially on the electra, but trust me, it works, its enjoyable, and the truth is, if a different company came up with it, it would be seen as a great innovation, but as it was Atlantic, it must be dodgy!

Can we have an end to "ahh, but what if you have to deboost" back biting?