PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Have we, the pax, pushed it too far?
View Single Post
Old 11th Jan 2010, 18:34
TheTiresome1

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I hesitate to follow PAXboy and his input, but I'll present a similar line of though [if less cogent].

Like nuclear weapons, aviation cannot be un-invented. Globally there must be millions of people involved in the carriage of passengers and freight from A to B, including aircraft manufacturers, spare parts suppliers, ground staff - the list is almost endless. It includes aircrew, of course! And all this massive industry is geared to enable the World [as it now is] to do its business. The cost to society and individual employees in trying to undo it is too immense to contemplate.

Are aircrew over-worked and under-paid? That is an over-simplified question.
Some possibly are, some possibly aren't. It depends on who you're working for, under what sort of contract, in what country, in what role, on what aircraft - but I am certainly disturbed to see the under-regulation implied in the initial post. That is one of those rare occasions where I would say "The Government should do something".

As to our rights as individuals to fly - if there is an affordable product (affordability being an enormous variable, so let's not go there) then people will take advantage of the opportunity. If it is NOT affordable, then passenger numbers will fall, jobs will be lost across the global aviation industry and beyond, goods will not be able to move to their markets - and more jobs and societies will pay the penalties.