PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Wot no AH64
Thread: Wot no AH64
View Single Post
Old 30th Jun 2002, 06:49
teeteringhead

Gentleman Aviator

Received 51 Likes on 24 Posts
It's not so much infrastructure or budgets that make the difference, but state of mind. Apache has the POTENTIAL to be an awesome piece of kit, but the Army's (not the AAC's) state of mind.
The whole complexity of introducing such a complex aircraft has been missed by the Army ( who at one time claimed there would be a "limited operating capability" before the end of 1999!).
More importantly, flying is still not "core business" for the Army, hence the need for a career AAC officer to go and do reely important grunt type duties to get promoted.
In the RAF, it is normal to reach sqn ldr (major) rank having done nothing but fly, and I understand there have been some who have got to wg cdr (lt colonel) without "flying a desk". The rationale I guess, is that flying is what it's all about, and you don't need to prove yourself elsewhere. Until the Army realise this, they won't get the best out of Apache.
Don't get me wrong - this is NOT a plea for the RAF (or RN WEbF) to operate Apache. I don't give a monkey's what capbadge the driver wears, I just want UK plc to optimise the operation of the aircraft.
And the AAC give every sign thus far of not being able to do so.

(stands well back, gets flak jacket and helmet out of cupboard .....)