PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Info needed please.
View Single Post
Old 10th Jan 2010, 08:54
Van Gough

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Casual instructor : Paid only for hours the prop is turning and be expected to sit around all day hoping for new students to appear. Busy day = $150

Casual charter : $0/day - $150/day & can be expected to be on call 24/7 not being paid. Say no to a charter for any reason and expect never to be called again.

Skydiving : 'Pilots dont get paid here' to $5 to $10 a load.

If you can stick it out for a few years you may get put on salary which if your lucky it might be the award. From memory around $35000 ?

When I did my CPL 8 years ago, it took about a year of constant applying everywhere to get a break just to be a casual earning less than the dole.

There was a pilot shortage 2 years ago but the global financial crisis soon put a stop to that.

My advice to you is if you really want to do it, then go for it but be aware after a while the novelty will wear off but the $100k bill wont go away so easily. It can be a very very long road to get to the airlines and the reality is only 1 in 10 pilots ever make it that far.

If you never make it to the airlines, Ag flying and low level survey can pay alright but it is danger money and your never home.

All that aside don't let me put you off if it is a lifelong dream of yours. I just feel its better not to sugar coat it too much.