PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The Planned March on Wootton
View Single Post
Old 9th Jan 2010, 23:52
davejb

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
No march,
because the choice of venue makes it obvious that it's intended to insult the dead and their relatives - that isn't democracy, democracy is not about having the freedom to insult others and having no comeback, it's about having the right to make your own point without being stoned to death, as happens in some of the places involved in this argument. Democracy is a balance, and badly designed, but it essentially says that the individual has rights, and is allowed to speak up when they are transgressed, it is not about having some special ability to annoy, insult, defame, or otherwise injure others just because you think your views are more important than anyone else's.

Only complete idiots think democracy implies the right to do this sort of stuff - would it be okay to resurrect Hitler and stage a torchlight rally in Manchester?

They can march through my local town by all means, might help clear some of the snow and ice, in fact get the okay from the loony and I'll draw up a route and get some of the local roads cleared at last. Of course I'll ignore them (being a lazy old git I'd probably also ignore a march by the last 10 years worth of Playboy centrefolds, well, it's a good 200 yards to walk and this chair is pretty comfy you know?) - but choosing WB is a deliberate act to wind people up, and the options should therefore be (1) March elsewhere, or (2) Don't do it.

Dave

(Actually I tend towards the "p*** off where you came from if you don't like it here" school of thought, but I thought this sounded a bit more rational).