PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Why does Heathrow/Gatwick shut down at first sight of a snow flake every time?
Old 9th Jan 2010, 19:45
Capt H Peacock

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have to say that I think the British inability to cope with snow is all to do with industrial relations, health and safety legislation, local byelaws, perceived environmental factors, and an eye to the litigants. Add to that a large dolop of 'not invented here' and you end up with a pilot's nightmare. Some airports have many different corporate components who seem to be at war with each other instead of working as a team.

The reported braking action is important even if it's unreliable since it allows the commander to make a judgement as to whether he thinks a safe landing/stop can be made. Withholding that information for fear of litigation is simply passing the buck.

I'm sorry, I've had a bellyfull of UK this last week. Conditions which at ZRH or MUC would have caused a 10 minute delay turn into hours in London, sometimes days. My favourite experience of the UK in winter is watching it pass by 39000 feet below.

If it was up to me, I'd call in a team from continental Europe to do the winter ops bit to show how it should be done.

Sorry, I'll be nice to you when it's spring time.