PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - QF Direct Entry / Flight Deck Visit
View Single Post
Old 9th Jan 2010, 08:21
The Green Goblin

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Just a quick question, what's with the hostility directed towards any wannabee who shows a direct enthusiasm towards joining an airline, or shooting for a cadetship etc? I've got my own views, and agree with the value of GA, but I fully support a trainee who is specifically aiming to join the big boys, and cites that ambition as the reason they got into flying.
I doubt many pilots grew up as kids staring at Cessna's flying overhead thinking 'man I want to fly one of those one day'

We all signed up thinking of the life of an Airline Pilot, flying to faraway lands, earning top dollar, walking down the street in uniform like Leonardo Dicaprio in catch me if you can - uniform on - raybans checked - getting perved on by the girls. Glamorous trolly dollys pouring us coffee in the flight deck and after a successful flight drinking whiskey till the early hours on a layover........ with a happy ending and no strings attached........

Then we start our training and fall in love with the art of flying an aeroplane. That 40 year old Cessna becomes a thing of beauty and the squillions of hours on the airframe don't really seem to matter. Single Pilot operations in remote areas with stunning coastlines, mountain ranges, unruly passengers and comradery with your flying buddies become the happiest time of your life. Being broke is kind of fun and when you go home on holidays your mates who are earning squillions on the mines always look after you

As we are more exposed to the industry we realize the pay 'aint really that great at the top anymore. The conditions are getting worse while the hours are getting even more fatiguing particularly if you fly domestic. The job security is not really there and the word from management is always doom and gloom.

Oh and the trolly dollys? well.........jump in the back of a QF cabin these days particularly the 767 fleet and have a look. The reason why knitting needles are now not a prohibited item is half the cabin crew need 'em

It's like saying someone who gets a shot at the AIS for Cricket, should ignore that and spend a few years at their local cricket club slogging it out instead
But you 'aint going to get into AIS cricket without spending many years at the local cricket club learning your vocation and honing your skill - and plenty of practice