PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - QF Direct Entry / Flight Deck Visit
View Single Post
Old 9th Jan 2010, 05:59
Tempo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rodriguez,

what's with the hostility directed towards any wannabee who shows a direct enthusiasm towards joining an airline, or shooting for a cadetship etc?
What....hostility on pprune....never....

Seriously, there is nothing wrong with having enthuasism to join an airline. I would bet the majority of pilots out there have the ultimate ambition to get into the LHS of a jet some day (even if they wont admit it).

In answer to your question....QF have taken all sorts of people over the years with a wide range of experience. I know of a number of guys who joined with under 1000hours and those that applied many times and were not taken until they had 1000's of hours turbine. I guess it's supply and demand, how well you with the testing and as always, a bit of luck.

From a personal point of view, I first did testing for QF back in 2000 with 700 hours or so. At the time I didn't make it through the skills and psych. I got a 'apply again in 2 years' letter so I left my instructing job and went and did charter (single & multi). When I applied 2 years later I got the gig (hired 3 years almost to the day after I got the reject letter the first time).

Looking back I think I was a much better candidate the second time round....more experience etc. Looking back I also have no regrets with missing out the first time...I really enjoyed my time in GA (I would have enjoyed it more if I knew I would eventually get out of GA).

Saying all this, if you want to get into an airline...apply asap. Just because you apply does not mean you will get in. If you do, great. If not, take it as it comes. Speak to anyone in the industry and they will say that airlines have window's of opportunity to join....when the window is open....great. When it closes...it may close for a long time.

Good luck