PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Let's make our Profession prestigious again
Old 8th Jan 2010, 20:24
FlyingOfficerKite

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Qualification as an 'airline pilot' by virtue of an ATPL is not a 'profession' in the accepted sense but a technical occupation.

The 'professions' require examination (first degree) and training to be eligible for membership. Common examples include solicitors (the Law Society), accountants (Institute of Chartered Accountants in England and Wales) and surveyors (Royal Institution of Chartered Surveyors).

There is no professional body or training for airline pilots, other than a technical qualification gained by passing the relevant ATPL exams.

If you check the magistrates website and obtain a list of occupations you will see that the above 'professions' are listed whereas airline pilots and air traffic controllers are classed as technical occupations.

Whilst the training and ability or pilots is without doubt comparable with other so-called professions, pilots are not classed as such.

Without the representation of a professional body pilots lack the 'teeth' to fight as the other professions do to acquire the status now enjoyed by the main professional bodies.

Unfortunately some pilots see BALPA as their representative body, but with all due respect it is not the same thing.

Whilst I winge about the service I receive from my professional body (fees £500 plus per annum) it does provide the means by which I earn a living (status and prestige, as well as a requirement for most employment). I would have been lost without the facility provided by professional membership throughout my career.

This lack of representation and unity (not in a trade union sense) is a big drawback and can be argued to be at the root of the maladies suffered by the airline 'profession' at the moment.

So until pilots have a professional body to represent them (Institute of Chartered Pilots seems a good title!!!) and the industry remains fragmented it will be difficult to achieve the level of respect from those in management who are professionals by qualifications - 'bean counters' will often be Chartered Accountants for example.

Maybe this is the way forward? Institutes can be formed and run without Chartered status. This approach would follow that of the other professions and might enable flight crew to gain professional status, but more importantly collective representation.

KR

FOK