PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - RJ crash in Kigali?
View Single Post
Old 8th Jan 2010, 12:50
4runner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CRJ's are not banned in Rwanda. Rwandair has their own and now operational CRJ 200's which can be seen at Kigali. The Jetlink aircraft did land with one engine at full power. When you shut down an engine on an RJ, you lose hydraulics for inboard or outboard brakes. My guess is that the captain shutdown the good engine, lost inboard or outboard braking on already overheated brakes, and the rest is history. I don't like to critique or criticize other pilots but let's face it, this was an example of bad decision making, lack of systems knowledge and poor CRM. The captain obviously did not use the QRH which states that the engine will be shut down using the fire button. He wanted to shutdown the engine by spraying water from the fire truck into the intake??? Are you kidding me? The f/o supposedly suggested that the captain shutdown the engine using the fire button. My buddy replayed the event in the sim at his last recurrent and was able to land with one at full power and the other at idle. Flight spoilers were used and the approach angle was shallow but he got it on the tarmac(in the sim). A normal single engine landing is easier and safer which is probably why the QRH tells you to shut down the engine in question. Just my 2 cents and probably why Rwandair has their own CRJ's now.