PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Electra at CGN
Thread: Electra at CGN
View Single Post
Old 29th Jun 2002, 09:01
SBA

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Chris Cargo,

Your quote of the AAG Chief Pilot is distorted to the point where you could follow a career in Fleet Street. You make it sound as if this is some crazy drill that has been invented by their CP. The reality is that with a gust locked aircraft the controls are to all intents and purposes locked. The only way to achieve any sort of response from the controls is to use excessive force in the desired direction. Now what do you think would happen if the controls were de-boosted whilst this excessive force was applied. For this reason, Lockheed, not the AAG Chief Pilot, state that no control input should be applied whilst de-boosting. The drill then is that the Captain will de-boost the controls whilst the FO will act as handling pilot and cover the controls. The whole procedure would take maybe ten seconds. It is not a situation I would ever like to be in, but I don't see that a third crew member would make any difference.
As for a windmill start without the services of an FE, I guess that it had never occurred to anyone at Atlantic that they might want a cup of coffee in the middle of this procedure!