PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Let's make our Profession prestigious again
Old 8th Jan 2010, 02:45
superdimona

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
In Spain, pilots with 1500h (unfrozen ATPL) are considered Engineers with a University Degree. This is our aim.
Er, what? Isn't that like saying "experienced doctors are considered Solicitors with professional qualifications"?

[rant on]

I'm all for pilots gaining extra respect, but pilots and professional engineers do 2 very different jobs. I just dont see how 1500 hour pilots are qualified to do the things engineers can do (eg designing electronic circuits, buildings, mines, machines etc depending on discpline).

As an engineer, one of the things that really bugs me is people upsurping the title. The general public sees "sanitation engineers" (rubbish collectors) "sales engineers" (marketing) "Microsoft Certified Sysgtems Engineers" (sysadmins) etc etc. None of these people could solve a differential equation to save their lives.

Here's a link to an Australian syllabus: Course list for the Bachelor of Engineering - Courses and Programs - The University of Queensland, Australia - I'd imagine it isn't that different from a USA or European one. Please tell me how the ATPLs, which are certainly tricky, go into the same depth as a 4 year fulltime university program.

[rant off]

I wish you the best of luck increasing the status for your profession. In the process, please don't contribute to the decline of mine.