PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Let's make our Profession prestigious again
Old 8th Jan 2010, 01:27
Ocampo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
@ punk666

But this is management we are talking about here!!
Seeing as your from Colombia may be your not translating my comments correctly and getting the wrong end of the stick. But I understand if that is the case
Okay mate, I think you're right; that may be a factor

On the "management" side of things, I agree with you (and some others). Companies (especially the big ones) treat us like we are not humans.

Here's an example:

Work/rest and duty assignment regulations in this country implies that you cannot have more than 5 consecutive assignments (days), except in one: the 6th assignment can only be as a "Tripadi" (additional crew member, I think it is known in English as dead-head, is that right?). So said company interprets this wrongly and they decided to put the dead-head anywhere between those 6 consecutive days (as a blank day) taking away one possible rest time and making pilots fly 6 consecutive days! Moreover, at the end of the month pilots could be right on the limit (90 hours) or even being at the limit before the month ends because they are doing 6 legs (each of 45 mins in average) on a single day. I don't know much about it, but it seems a bit excessive to me.

I remember I once heard a F/O friend of mine saying "they are kicking the tombstone, and one of these days the tombstone will fly and hit an airplane"

Not too long ago there was the mess in Europe with the work/rest regulations: Dead-tired.

As someone said earlier: Being a pilot these days seems to be above a Wal-Mart manager, but with worse hours.