PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Let's make our Profession prestigious again
Old 7th Jan 2010, 19:36
Ocampo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I was told that someone at Easyjet suggested that pilots should get pay matching there work..I.e you sit there and do nothing you get paid hardly anything.
In my honest opinion they way it is going, pilots are only there for when the sh*t hits the fan not to fly the plane and thats what they get paid for.
Errr, once again, I beg to differ, mon frere. As I said earlier; airplanes can fly themselves but they cannot think for themselves. I.e.: They can take commands, the ones YOU put in, but they will not give commands themselves.

They will not go: "Hmm, the wx report seems like there's going to be some heavy rainshowers with heavy crosswinds; I better ask somebody what's the wx like in my filed alternate. I should have a look at my fuel if I plan to deviate". See my point? Only a human, a PILOT, will do those things. Flying an airplane (read: Being a professional pilot) is not just one hand on the yoke and the other one on the throttles. It involves a sensational way of using your brain and all of your senses. And an airplane will not have that nowhere near (if ever!)

Sure automation might be a pilot's best friend if used correctly, but it can become quite rapidly in a pilot's worst enemy (see AA965 near Cali, Colombia, mid 1990's); and when that happens it's time to switch all the way back to basics as if one were all over again on flight schools. And that doesn't mean that has hit the fan; it's going to hit it if one lets the situation evolve. It takes a trained professional pilot (without disrespecting the AA965 pilots) to get the flight back on track: The airplane will not do it (and I think it will never do it) by itself.

everybody has Flight Simulator
Right on spot! There seems to be so-called pilots everywhere now...bloody PC "pilots"! You can use it to learn lots of stuff if it is used in a proper way, but nevertheless, it will never EVER be like flying a real airplane.

Best regards.

Ed