PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - FAA Puts American Airlines Under Close Scrutiny
Old 6th Jan 2010, 13:10
TIMA9X

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
As a daily reader of PPRuNe for years now I felt it necessary to comment regarding this thread in defense of AA.

Agree with the following
by aa73: Every major US airline has had a rash of accidents attributed to pilot error at some point of time. AA's just happens to be these last 10 years. Unfortunate, yes: but it will be corrected. I remember in the early 90s, USAir had the highest hull loss record of all US airlines.
In America the 5 major airlines are huge compared to many other parts of the world, it's economy of scale that come into play here, compare the number of rotations in the USA and here lies the answer. AA have had a bad run of late but the AA Kingston, Jamaica 737 off runway crash is still not conclusive, and to be fair to all pilots on this forum, it is my view we should wait for the official reports.

The Dallas Morning News also reported that the runway at Norman Manley International Airport in Kingston, Jamaica was not grooved like many runways in the US, making it easier for water pool on the runway and increase the likelihood of hydroplaning. The main runway (12/30) is 8900 feet (2713 meters) long, with an instrument landing system available (ILS) only on runway 12. Because of the weather conditions at the time of the landing (rainstorm), and the lack of an ILS option on runway 30, it is likely that the crew had no choice but to land using the ILS equipped runway which meant either landing with a tail wind or landing at an alternate airport.
It is possible that commercial pressures may apply in this case.

I agree with WindSheer
I fear this is very much a similar case now in the commercial sector, with Captains facing an extreme grilling down if they have diverted during 50/50 conditions.
Things need to change industry wide....not just within AA!!
Having said that, 411A also has some very valid points, and I always respect his point of view, re the Alaska MD80, jackscrew disaster. But I must point out that it was not long ago that the FAA had also focused heavily on Southwest and United maintenance procedures.

I am not American but I do respect the American pilots and their crews, they may do things slightly differently to say Europe but at the end of the day all the American airlines manage to get to through most 24 hour periods without incident.