PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Invasion of the Body Scanners
View Single Post
Old 6th Jan 2010, 09:35
Piltdown Man

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The modern, full body scanner is only one step short of you taking all of your clothes off. The reason you don't have to is because the machine does it for you. It is reasonable that members of the general public actually get to see the images seen by the the screener and also understand the communication between the screener and the person controlling people entering the scanner. Personally, I don't mind what people see of me but I can fully understand what many people might not wish to wish to pass through these machines. But I'm going to suggest that when these machines are introduced, those being scanned will not have a clue of the detail that can be seen nor of the conversations between the security staff. I think that omission is wrong.

Futhermore, will these machines actually make things safer? Not on your life! The bad boys will use different methods to take prohibited articles airside and then, as now, we'll still be vulnerable to their attacks. This is because we follow rules and procedures which in my opinion are written by the wrong people (Transec, part of DfT). In the UK we also employ certain type of person whose job it is just to follow documented procedures.

But there is no proper checking, you are not allowed to question anything and everone and everything is considerered to be a threat. And this is the bit I object to. I have to pay for this system, my job is put under threat as a result and we are no safer as a result of this so called security activity. But the most dreadful thing is that not even your MP can get a straight answer - for security reasons!

When we have a more open system and when we can call the security system to account I'll be happier. Until then the system we have will never be anything more than expensive, wasteful theatre. The new scanners will just increase the queues and the cost, achieving diddly-squat!

My money is on the bad guys getting through!

PM