PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - SHFNI Stories!
Thread: SHFNI Stories!
View Single Post
Old 5th Jan 2010, 18:14
NutLoose

Received 2,926 Likes on 1,250 Posts
Tiger_Mate
Low point was deploying to Lockerbie within hours of the 747 crash.
Oddly enough I was on Resettlement leave/ course doing training in Pub Management at my local and on rate 1's at home for a month in a village near Carlisle when it happened

I was still in the mob and walking the couple of miles to "work", it was one of those barmy summer evenings, warm but totally silent, when across the fields I heard the wail of a ambulance siren, and then another, and another until the whole of Carlisles emergency services were heading north and I mean all..........
I just stood there in utter disbelief at the sound, something I will never forget, later watching the news in the pub I managed to dissuade several local idiots who were going to drive up to lockerbie to "have a look."

Walking home that evening the first Chinooks past overhead and having been on 240 OCU when we first got them, I was bloody impressed with the time taken to call them out and get them there

Several friends attended, one being in the local police and he was one of the first at the Cockpit. The thing that impressed him was the local fire service, he said he was having a break with the rest of police etc when they removed their firemans jackets and it was then they realised they were all part time volunteers and were still wearing what ever they had on when they arrived and had been dropped into the hell that was Lockerbie...

People at home could not and did not fathom that but for a few minutes flying time or the odd thousand feet it would have came down on us........

So Tiger_Mate I would just like to say a belated Thank You