PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Hours building - Structured or Non-structured?
Old 5th Jan 2010, 16:14
The_green_penguin

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hours building - Structured or Non-structured?

Hello folks,
I have been following these boards for some weeks with interest, however, this is my first posting (so apolgies for any naivety). I would like a little advice regarding the next step in my long quest of commercial pilot training (modular!).

I passed my PPL skills test and RT license shortly before Christmas and have since been doing a lot of research into the company with which to commence studying for the ATPL ground theory. I have decided to go with Bristol. I hope to start out on this (daunting!) task in the next few weeks.

My question is concerned with hours building. I have the typical 50 hours in my log book and have recently completed the conversion on to the Piper Archer. I obviously need to build up another 100 hours (including night rating) before I can commence training for my CPL. [I work full time in a completely non-aviation related field, and plan to fly as and when I can afford to do so – with minimal debt].

The flying school I am interested in going with offers 'structured' and 'non-structred' hours building. By structured, I take it to mean – you have a fair amount of input by the flight instructors with the aim of improving your VFR flying and avoiding getting into bad habits, whereas non-structured is basically self-hiring the aircraft and just flying around as an when the weather permits?? Obviously structured comes at a cost, and as far as I can see wil cost me approx an extra £1,500.

My question is what are peoples' feelings as to whether it is worth the money at this stage of my training? Is it better to have the input of the FI’s (albeit fairly infrequently) right from the outset or is it ok to just fly myself - and occaisionally friends - trying to develop my skills and stay current?

Many thanks in advance for any helpful advice.

PS Apologies for the wordiness of this - I got carried away!