PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Line training: the debate
View Single Post
Old 3rd Jan 2010, 19:38
G-SPOTs Lost

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Chaps you need to remember that after all is said and done its just a job, you will have bad and good days at the office in much the same way you do now.

If we were recruiting (which were not) I would probably get to screen the CV's and I'd be looking for something to jump out at me and to be honest I'd rather slam my dick in the door than hire an inexperienced pilot whos been out of work for 4 months or more with a 320/737 type rating. What if I was recruiting onto a turboprop?

Heres a plan.

Dont train

Heres another.

If you have trained already, put any thoughts of a flying career onto a back burner for 2 years, ask anybody in the industry just how cyclical it is, we have normal times, boom tiimes and crap times - right now its crap in two or three years it'll be normal and in 5 years if you've got a pulse and an IR you'll get hired. I can remember some operators ringing Oxford to find out who had passed their IR that day and arranging interviews for them their and then.

However.....

We find ourselves at the opposite end of the sine wave, get a job outside aviation, formally rent a plane for 40mins a week and go shoot an ILS with a mate, put enough to one side for a trip in a twin every 6 months and dont even try to keep your IR current save your cash. Put even more enough money to one side for an IR renewal and 5 hours in the oldest sim you can find with the crustiest cheapest ex airline pilot you can find.

At the interview with the DFO or CP that will inevitably happen as long as you have an IR and a pulse (just a case of when) chat with pride that you did the right thing and showed excellent judgement and stuck to your "currency plan" as you knew that it would get you to be sat in the chair that you are presently residing in.

You have more chance of getting a job today than yesterday and the night is always darkest just before dawn.

Go get some fornication done in a kibbutz or be a ticket tout outside a bar in Spain for two years, if you have commitments dig holes in the road. Accept that aviation is unavailable to you right now unless you wish to rent an airliner which lets face it is just plain stupid