PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Line training: the debate
View Single Post
Old 3rd Jan 2010, 11:37
TheBeak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Has anyone actually gone this route and had success/failure?

-Undoubtedly yes to both. Ryanair pilots for the time being are experiencing success. Some of the people that first did these schemes have experienced success. The future is a completely different one and I very much hope that everyone who embarks on one of these PTF schemes experiences cataclysmic failure.

What do the recruiters think of these schemes?

- The 'recruiters' using them to achieve revenue love them. Past that a pilot interviewing you is going to dislike you - intensely in the most part.

What are the pros and cons?

- PROs:

- You can tell girls you are a pilot.
- You can wear the uniform to the supermarket.
- Your parents, at dinner parties, can tell their friends you are a pilot.
- It keeps airfares low and load factors higher.
- For the period you can keep current.

- CONs ( A rather apt choice of word):

- You will have wasted £30K+ which is difficult to earn and incredibly easy to spend. (Unless it's your parents money, which you say it isn't so this will be an EXTREME factor for you - I too could buy some TR with line hours but I know how hard I have to work to get the money, so I shaln't be giving it away so that some 'alwight mate' with bleach blond hair and an earing can go on holiday with his girlfriend Beyonce for less - because that's all you are doing, lowering the cost base for the airline so they can lower their prices and remain competitive).
- You'll be hated by anyone who is a commercial pilot and has the 'balls' / brain to tell you so.
- You are delaying the ineviatble, you wont be kept on and you will go uncurrent.
- You are showing your net worth to future employers, you'll have no room to bargain for anything.
- You'll probably kill yourself - leave it to the people who have the knowledge, skills, IPs and patience to make it.

Is this the way of the future?

- For the short term future yes. It CAN NOT be the way for the long term future, nature doesn't work that way. Short term future is possibly 5 years.

If you are smart enough to have done all your training and be in the financial position to buy a TR with no help and no debt you should have been able to work this out for yourself.

DON'T BUY A TR AND LINE HOURS. YOU WILL REGRET IT IF YOU DO.